Menu

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
line950

Thursday, June 21, 2012

White Chicken Chili

My mom makes this amazing chili every time we go to our cabin, right after Thanksgiving, and a lot during the winter. It's so yummy and filling without making you gain weight! It's low in calories and even ME, Marci, the pickiest eater in the world LOVES it!!! I know it's summer and about a billion degrees outside right now but my husband doesn't care. He asks for me to make this dish once a week to keep on hand in the fridge for those nights that I say to myself, "oh crap, you are supposed to take things out of the freezer before you intend to cook them?" I am not much of an early planner so most things don't make it out in time to get cooked in our house. This chili/soup is perfection reheated and lasts quite awhile. So next time you need something easy to make for the fam that requires ingredients that everyone keeps on hand, try this gem.

White Chicken Chili



Ingredients:

6 cups cooked chicken cut-up {I use 2 large cans of the kirkland chicken from costco, perfect}
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onion {I don't use this much. We aren't the biggest fans of onions in my house so I only do about 1/2 cup}
2 jalapeno peppers seeded and diced {I don't use these at all}
4 cloves garlic chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper {I use regular black pepper}
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1, 4 oz can diced green chilies drained
2, 19 oz cans white kidney beans or white beans drained
2 cans chicken broth

Directions:

Heat oil over medium heat in a 5-quart pot, add onions and saute until soft. Stir in jalapenos and garlic; saute about 1 minute. Add flour, pepper, cumin, salt: stir to combine mixture well.

Stir in 3 cups chicken broth and green chilies into onion mixture and heat to boiling, stirring occasionally until thickened. Remove from heat.

Add chicken and beans to thickened onion mixture. Reheat to boiling and simmer for 5 minutes.

***top with shredded cheese, saltines, or tortilla chips if desired in individual bowls. {we do cheese and saltines}

No comments:

Post a Comment